Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The Unfolding

     I feel as though my life has been on a single trajectory, over which I lack control and desire to follow.  I am a piece of paper, folded into an airplane, and sent on its way.  I gather speed like a Catholic church gathers silence, as though slowing down would be sacriledge.

    In flight, the landing is daunting.  I am afraid.  It never occurs to me to slow down, so the landing might be gentle.  Perhaps it does occur to me, and I dismiss it as crazy talk.  Am I not built for speed?

    I crash time and again.  It's painful each and every time.  I think perhaps I will stay grounded for good.  But someone always picks me up and sends me off again.  The early flight always feels just right.  And then I pick up speed and start to worry about the crash landing.  And then comes the pain.

    I wonder if I need an engine.  Then I could control it all.  Trajectory, speed, lift, landing.  I start to gather parts.  In doing so, I come across a teacher.  She shows me a new stance I can take.  All of a sudden, my mind is flooded with insight.

    I am not a paper plane.  Unfold, and do not get thrown around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment