Saturday, July 13, 2019

the moments inbetween

i miss you
in those moments
between “Mommy’s Day”
and the next
“Mommy’s Day”

i hope you remember
i’m your Mommy
every day

i reach for your hand
to cross the street
an automatic gesture
as a mother of three
but my hand is met
with air that’s cold
and my heart
feels a little more empty

sometimes
i cry
into your favorite
stuffed animal

sometimes i cry
over a glass of bourbon

today i cry
into words

i made a place for you
in my own body
grew you proudly
despite the shame
of being an unwed mother
i gave to you
all of the love
in my heart

i watch you grow
and that love multiplies
as you give it back to me
in whispers
and in shouts

and when the mornings
are quiet
and empty
the hours
until i see you
stacked against me
when my mind
reaches for comfort
in some thing you said
or did
recorded
in my facebook memories

i facetime you
just to hear you say,
Mommy,
i miss you, too



No comments:

Post a Comment