Friday, July 5, 2019

Broken (By) Words

Your words reach out
And whip me
Some lash once
Some repeatedly
I wince
In pain
In confusion
Eventually
In desperation

I allowed your words
To pummel me
Believing
They are deserved
After all

Until
I realized
They aren't

You posed
As if listening
Yet never
Did you hear 

Had you heard
Your words
Would lose their hard edge
Their stabbing quality
And be soft
And gentle
Like my love
For you

But
One final barrage
You felt broken
And so
Sought
To break me
As well

Congratulations
On that count
You achieved your goal
That litany
Of hurtful assumptions
And projections
Effectively
Broke my heart

The warmth
Is now cold
The love
Is now lost
Only the memories
Are mine to cherish
And hold close
To warm my heart
And I will

I surely will

No comments:

Post a Comment