Saturday, February 9, 2019

Old Poetry #11

I built the tracks
But the train derailed
I built the ship
But it never sailed
I took the test
And I always failed
Though the answers stayed the same
I couldn't help but change
See what it would do
If I answered two plus two
With a Katmandu
Or purple tennis shoe
And no one grasped my sense of humor
Checked my brain for some big tumor
Lost my marbles was the rumor
But I laugh inside
Because I can't abide
By standards doubled
Society troubled
Countries rubbled
Thoughts bubbled
And then they popped
Stopped
Dropped
Fell from the sky into the ocean
Washed ashore by perpetual motion
Rubbed in with your suntan lotion
Affected you like a secret potion
And now your mind changed
Expanded
Contorted
And when asked two plus two
It was you who retorted
The grass is blue
The sky is green
In the end
What does it all mean?
Do you know the story of Jack and the Bean?
No, there was no stalk
That part was all talk
To make a good story
Not quite allegory
Just a tall tale
Seeking a fairy
A beast that is hairy
And a maiden of dairy
But I digress...
You're under duress
By society's mess
And civil unrest
Though maybe not best
Is necessary
Just like the fairy in the tale
And the future will show
All that you know and believe to be true
Will ultimately find
And follow you

No comments:

Post a Comment