Saturday, December 29, 2018

Corners

There's always
Someone
Or something
Around the corner
Sometimes
The corner
Is in your mind
But
Nonetheless
There it is
There they are
And what is good?
What is bad?
In this regard
At times
We stop
And try to peek
Around the corner
At what's to come
What's in store
For us
Other times
We are so
Preoccupied
We round the corner
Without looking at all
At these times
We may miss
What's there entirely
Or
We may crash
Head first
Into what
We never saw coming

I walked blindly
Swiftly
Around the corner
When I collided with you
Now
Cautiously
I try to peek
Around the next bend
I seek out a mirror
For greater clarity
And get distracted
By my reflection
It's changing
The face
Of this woman
Before me
This woman
I see
But hardly knew
Because I always kept her
At arm's length
From everyone
Even
Myself
But now
In preparing
To round this corner
She opens
Ever so slightly
And invites in
A sliver of love
To warm her heart
And dry her tears
To grant her strength
And calm her fears
To slow her step
And help her see
She's too focused
On her destination
To appreciate
Her present journey

No comments:

Post a Comment