Friday, November 23, 2018

Half the Battle

If knowing is half the battle
It certainly is the easy half
Also
What is the other half?
Changing?
Taking action?
Remembering?

All my life
I have hated myself
For reasons
Which failed logically
But won emotionally

And now
After all these years
I am realizing new reasons
Which win logically
And I have to fight
To overcome
Emotionally

I have this fear
Of not living my life
My way
Or on my own terms
The problem is
I don't know
What my way
Really is

I tell myself
I want to walk alone
But inside
The loneliness eats at me
Yet
I don't know how
To open up
And share

I tell myself
Loneliness
Is easier to handle
Than heartbreak

Easier to digest
Than disappointment
Or drama

Easier to ignore
Then a moral imperative
To be a better person
Because the one you love
Deserves better
Than you

I was devastated today
In increasing waves of disgust
As I realized
My willful ignorance
Avoidance
And eventual apathy

I get so tired
Of hating myself
I drink
To forget
Which of course
Creates regret
Because drinking excessively
Will always,
Eventually,
Inflict pain

But the cessation
Of imbibing
Causes me to realize
Just how much
I hate myself
Every moment
Of every day
And then
To realize
I have been hating myself
For all the wrong reasons
Is really, really
Hard to take

So now what?
I have to change
Obviously
I have to let go
Definitely
I have to see
But I can't
I'm so damn myopic
Everything
Has always
Been relegated
To future Mee
But now
I am future Mee
And I don't have the tools
To deal
With a lifetime of procrastination
A lifetime
Of willful ignorance
...

Or do I?





No comments:

Post a Comment